Saturday, June 13, 2009

Portret neke gospe

On Wednesday (June 10th), I went to the local theater to see a play with my coworkers at the hostel. The play was called Portret neke gospe (or Portrait of a Lady), directed by Matjaž Berger. It's a play based on Henry James' novel The Portrat of a Lady. The play was staged at the "Anton Podbevšek Teater (APT)." What was really interesting about the play was that the audience was seated in a circle around the stage. 

Though I knew I woudn't understand anything, I decided to go anyway, because I usually enjoy watching plays and also thought it would be interesting to guess what the play was about. 

What I thought it was about: After watching the play, I had absolutely no idea what it was about (I didn't know until a few minutes ago that the play was based on Henry James' novel...well, I havent read the novel yet, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered). Some actors were dressed in white and some in black... and one of the female actors was dressed like a nun... and gospel singers came and sang on the stage... and people kept throwing white pebbles in the air... So... I thought that perhaps it could have been about heaven and hell and the main character (Isabel Archer) was stuck in the middle trying to overcome the temptations of Satan's minions.

What it was actually about: (I guess if you've already read the novel, you know what it was about.) Basically, it was actually about how Isabel Archer (who receives a big inheritence) had to confront all the men that wanted to marry her.... and later becomes a victim of a scheme plotted by two men... My coworker told me that the play was very strangely staged to begin with, so it was hard for them to understand it as well. I guess it was one of those highly artistic plays.

All in all, it was a great experience~ I was really glad that I had gone. 

Isabel Archer

Linda 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds pretty cool. i think i heard of the book before. what happened in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked it! Sounds like fun. It's too bad that you couldn't understand what they were saying though...lol

    ReplyDelete